Sunday, June 29, 2014

What is a credo anyway?

After a life changing two weeks, I finally can get my head into my homework which I have not been able to get into as much as I want to. After stewing about what I needed done and where to start, I decided to go for the first thing that came to mind: what is a credo?
According to Bing, a credo is a "statement of principles: a statement of principles or beliefs, especially one that is professed formally" and the light bullb above my head lit all of a sudden.
I was in Fayetteville, Arkansas until Saturday and spent time with a Tibetan monk who gave us an experience on relaxation, and wellness through meditation, and after spending those moments with a high ranked monk in the Buddhist order, my credo could be "we are all flawed, so do not stress about it". I used to have that "don't worry be happy" attitude as a teenager but it only got me lost when I lost both my parents when I was twenty years old. I began acting like an adult, stressing over everything because it made me feel like a grown up. My parents were always worried about me and they were great people, so stress must be good!
This humbling experience with a man who turned out to be as much a prankster than I was saved my summer. Geshe  (meaning grand master) is a personal friend of the Dalai Lama and we both spent our free time cooking and playing pranks on others. He also taught me one amazing quote from the Dalai lama who was asked if things from the outside world we getting to him: "Heck yea I get mad sometimes, who doesn't?" and thinking that a so highly respected Godly person is just one of us made me feel so small. He is a human like me and just like me "we are all flawed, so do not stress about it"!
Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment